Hungry Tigers attack one another in Xiamen Haicang Wild Animal Park
Dave
2003-08-10 01:19:39 UTC
Because:

There's not all that much safe "wild" left.
Poaching is one of the chief causes,
resulting in an ever dwindling number of
wild born tigers.

They have been thus far raised by people
and as such will not fear them, making them
both easier targets for poachers and also
more likely to come into conflict with
humans. Release programs can usually
not re-instill in the animal their natural fear of
humans - while there have been some
sucessful re-introduction stories - more often
then not the released animal comes into
conflict with humans, not fearing them, and
is often destroyed for various reasons.

People don't realize that by having captive
populations of animals, regardless of your
feelings about it, preserves a gene pool for
the day humans wise up and stop poaching
wildlife to:

Make their skins into rugs

Grind their bones into questionable medicinal
compounds.

Make any other such part taken from a (fill
in the name of your favorite animal species
here) into medicines with questionable and
unproven medicinal properties.

There is not yet a 100% successful
re-introduction program that I have heard
about - although the research continues
to find a way to do so.

Captive tigers at least preserve the species
for the day that we wake up and stop the
killing (we as humans as a whole).

Need I say more?

Dave

http://www.furville.com/Dave/tigers.html
So why can't they use some god damn sense and set up a release program to
the wild? These animals shouldn't be in a zoo anyway.
gelsomina2
2003-09-11 22:53:21 UTC
Post by Dave
Post by Dave
Captive tigers at least preserve the species
for the day that we wake up and stop the
killing (we as humans as a whole).
Need I say more?
Dave
captive tigers , in some sort of captivity, to preserve the species, but
where and how....
it is certainly not an easy problem to solve...as i guess, has been
proved...
but i certainly agree with the idea no animals should ever be in a zoo,
and not just the royal majestic tiger....it is really not the point how
nice the zoo is..
cheers,

anna

http://www.geocities.com/tryagain49/tyger.html
Dave
2003-09-15 00:04:47 UTC
Anna, you have perhaps missed my point -

without zoos, tigers will be a thing of the past
in about 13 or so years, the estimates vary.

Personally I'd rather not ever live in a world where tigers
don't exist - and I have always felt this way from
the time I was very very young, but heard about
the hunting of these magnificent creatures.

Poachers are still killing tigers in the wild at an
alarming rate - so get off your AR soapbox and
open your eyes ....

even the best conservation efforts in the wild may
not be able to stem the tide of poaching. if we
don't save them in zoos, we may all have to watch
as all subspecies of tigers become extinct.

Is that what you would like to see?

In a perfect world - there would be no need for
zoos - but this isn't a perfect world - by any
stretch of the imagination.