US Soldier kills Endangered Bengal Tiger in Baghdad Zoo to protect drunken soldier who had gone into the Tigers Cage Sept 2003
Drydem
2003-09-23 14:05:10 UTC
US soldier kills rare tiger
Sapa-AFP, 20/09/2003 18:26
http://www.news24.com/News24/World/Iraq/0,,2-10-1460_1419194,00.html

Bagdad - An American soldier shot and killed a rare Bengal tiger in
Baghdad zoo during an apparently drunken party, the head of the zoo
said on Saturday.
"The soldiers arrived in the evening with food and beer, accompanied
by a group of Iraqi police officers," Adel Salman Musa said of the
incident on Thursday night.
"One of the soldiers, who the Iraqi police said had drunk a lot, went
into the cage against the advice of his colleagues and tried to feed
the animal, who severely hurt his arm," he explained to AFP.
The tiger tore off one of the soldier's fingers and mauled his arm.
One of the other soldiers immediately fired at the animal and killed
it, he said.
"The soldiers don't have the right to behave like that. That was the
most precious and valuable animal in the whole zoo. It was 14 years
old and had been born here," Salman Musa said.
The Bengal tiger is an endangered species which is protected by the
Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna
and Flora (CITES) and the World Conservation Union (IUCN).
There are only 3 000-4 500 of these creatures left in the wild.
Salman Musa said US soldiers often held parties in the zoo in the
evenings. "We have no way of stopping them," he said.
US Sergeant Mark Ingham confirmed to AFP that an American soldier had
killed the tiger on Thursday and said the incident was being
investigated.
Baghdad zoo reopened to the public in July.
It houses 44 animals other than the prized tiger, most of which came
from the palaces of deposed leader Saddam Hussein and his late son
Uday, who was a lover of big cats.
A number of its animals were stolen in the confusion that followed the
US-lead war. Most were killed for food or were stuffed and sold.
SpiritWalker
2003-10-02 16:41:34 UTC
Sickening - what the hell did the soldier, sticking his hand in the
tigers cage think, fer criss-sakes?

The tiger was just doing what it did naturally, and probably took
the jesture of the person sticking his hand in the cage as an invasion
of his territory by someone who was not welcome.

I do not at all feel sorry for the soldier who lost his finger, and who
will carry the scars of this incident for the rest of his life. Let it be
a lesson to him to learn about big cats before approaching one and
sticking his hand near it. Damn asshole, cost that tiger it's life. Damn
asshole!

Too bad the tiger didn't rip the friggin' guys arm off instead.

I also noticed a severe lack of words coming from our military
regarding this incident. Is the soldier being punished for his crime?
I'd like to know, as would a lot of others I've heard from.

Just backs up a saying I once heard someone coin - "There is no
depth to the level of human stupidity".

Damn asshole!

SpiritWalker
SpiritWalker
2003-10-02 16:51:25 UTC
Correction - in the heat of writing this most blistering post,
as I was and am quite incensed by this - I failed to get the
quote right: